Monday, March 30, 2020

When I was Puerto Rican #1

The book I choose was 'When I Was Puerto Rican' by Esmeralda Santiago. It really shows how different every family is. We really don't know about everything that goes on in every family. Esmeralda, also known as Negi explains to us how her family is far from perfect. Negi's mami does not have a job but papi does. In Negi's culture the father is the man of the household. He's the one that provides in the family. Most of the time the wife stays home with the kids and takes care of the house. With just one parent working, theres just not enough money. Mami refused to call herself a jíbaro Peasant is the best way to describe it. But for Negi, she's fascinated by them. Doesn't even mind being called a Jibaro. In my opinion, I don't really get the how its always the man in charge of the house. Thats like being controlled by somebody to me... I can't really say much since I've been raised by my mom basically, don't really know what its like having a dad at home. I know its a religious thing too, how women have to obey their husband always. Thats what I could think when I was reading about Negi's situation at home because thats how most married couples at church are (at least the church I go to) Ive never understood it because I've always thought being independent is better than depending on somebody else for basic needs. I was happy to hear that Negi's mom was the first women to get a job in her village. She even moves her family to New York City which is even better in my opinion. More oportunites for her and her family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

free write

Ive been thinking a lot about the future. A few days ago it just hit me that high school is over and i’m going to be just working since i’m ...